Filing a claim or keeping track of your compensation process after you have been injured while in the service of a water body vessel can be a daunting and complex process for any seaman or longshoreman. Plus, having to worry about your medical bills, time away from family, or even job loss can drive you into distress.
If you are in such a situation, it is advisable that you hire a maritime lawyer in Houston to come to your aid. There are many specific types of forms that you are supposed to fill and submit in a timely manner through your employers. There are also many legal rights that you need to know to help you win and earn reasonable compensation.
A professional maritime lawyer in Houston will not only help you file the forms as required in law and inform you of your legal rights, but also evaluate your case and tell you whether you can potentially receive more monetary compensation for your injuries than what is currently being offered. Also, if your employer is a contractor hired by another company to perform certain operations at sea, you may be entitled to compensation by the operator or owner of the water body vessel (oil rig, ship, etc).
If the maritime accident was as a result of an employer, operator, or owner’s negligence, then you are protected under various maritime laws. Laws applied to maritime accidents and injuries occurring offshore (harbor dock workers, dockside shipyards, shipping terminals, and longshoremen) are quite different from laws applied to non-maritime injuries. Some of these laws and doctrines include:
- The Jones Act (Merchant Act of 1920)
• Maintenance and Care
• Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act
• Longshore & Harbor Worker’s Compensation Act
• The Death on the High Seas Act
Unless you have a full understanding of all these laws, then you better hire an experienced maritime lawyer in Houston, TX.
Why Hire the Worldwide Jones Act, Offshore & Maritime Lawyers at Schechter, McElwee, Shaffer and Harris?
The Jones Act and maritime lawyers at Schechter, McElwee, Shaffer and Harris have spent more than five decades representing seamen, longshoremen and other maritime workers, and recovered millions of dollars for our clients. Each of our Jones Act attorneys and maritime injury lawyers has more than 25 years of experience, with a total of more than 100 years of trial experience between the team.
Some of the reasons why thousands of injured maritime workers choose us include:
- Recovery of over $720 million worth of injury compensation
• Recovery of $17.5 million in the largest single injury Jones Act settlement ever paid by the United States government
• We have represented clients in some of the nation’s worst maritime distastes including the Deep Water Horizon, the British Petroleum Texas City Refinery explosion, and the Phillips 66 Refinery explosion among more.
• We offer interest free loans to assist our clients with day-to-day living expenses while waiting for the conclusion of their case
Contact us today for a consultation or to book an appointment!